Difference between revisions of "Bannerbomb"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
| title = Bannerbomb
| title = Bannerbomb
Revision as of 18:01, 17 May 2009
The exploit works by using a malformed banner to crash the Wii and run code to load the boot.dol placed in the root of the SD card. It can be used to install the Homebrew Channel, DVDx and the BootMii public beta via the HackMii Installer.
- For the first time, try "aad1f_v105.zip"
- If that doesn't work, continue on to "aad20_v105.zip", etc.
What you need
- SD (or SDHC if you're running System Menu 4.0) card formatted as FAT16 or FAT32.
- SD card reader for PC or a PC with one built-in
- Bannerbomb channel data
- Some homebrew to load
- If your SD card has a private directory, rename it temporarily, e.g. to "privateold". Having other saved channels on the same card will screw it up. (Also, if you don't have any channels on the SD card already, it's possible to skip this step so you can keep saves on your SD card)
- Copy the Bannerbomb "private" folder to the root of your SD card.
- Take your Wii executable, name it "boot.dol" or "boot.elf" if it isn't already, and save it in the root directory of your SD card.
- Put your SD card in your Wii and turn it on.
- Go into Wii Options --> Data Management --> Channels --> SD Card.
- A message should appear asking to "load boot.dol/.elf". If it freezes or does not appear, download the next .zip file from the Bannerbomb website and start over.
- The homebrew on your SD card will load. Enjoy!
- (Optional) Fill out Comex's survey on the Bannerbomb website.
Please note that Bannerbomb does not work for everyone at this time.
If your Wii freezes while trying to use Bannerbomb, follow these diagnostics:
- Make sure you're not trying to use the SD Menu on System Menu 4.0 (the little blue SD card button in the lower left).
- Check that you pressed the Channels button in Data Management.
- Make sure that Bannerbomb is the only channel on the SD card.
- Try a different version of Bannerbomb. Most people should be able to use aad1f, but some might need another version.
- If it gives you the dialog but freezes instead of loading the dol, email Comex ( comexk @ gmail dot com ). Tell him where it froze and whether or not the slot light is on. You might also try removing the disc.
- If you press "no" when it asks you whether you want to load a dol then it might freeze.
- It is possible to press the back button "under" the dialog.
- Message "Load /boot.dol?" changed to "Load /boot.dol/elf?"
- Added some stuff that may or may not help with stability.
- First public release
- bushing, dhewg, segher, etc.
- CaitSith, Artik and everyone else who tested
- and last but not least, Igglyboo for testing over 9000 zips for Comex