Frodo is a Commodore 64 emulator written by Christian Bauer (http://frodo.cebix.net). It was ported to the Wii by Simon Kagstrom, and many C64 games are fully playable on the Wii with it. So go ahead and beat your friends in International Karate, Boulder Dash or Bomb Jack. It does not share any code with FrodoWii, but would be happy to integrate improvements from it!
The emulator works best in 480i mode. It runs perfectly fine in 576i mode as well, but does not utilize the full resolution. This is an SDL issue, and will not be fixed until SDL-Port supports it. Sound support is slightly buggy, but usable. The emulation itself is not perfect, so all games will not run under Frodo. Unfortunately, I cannot do very much about this since I haven't written the emulator - just ported it. If you have multiple versions of a game, try each of them as often at least one will work.
Put .t64, .d64, prg or p00 files in /apps/frodo/images on your SD card. The in-game menu allows you to insert disks/tapes, load them and configure the display, joystick ports etc. Saves will be stored on the SD card and the preferences are stored persistently. Wiimote 1 is by default the joystick in port 1 and wiimote 2 the joystick in port 2, but you can swap this.
Note: The classic controller only works in the subversion trunk. If you want to use that, either build the svn trunk or wait for version 3.
|Configurable for keypresses in the menu|
|Enter Frodo menu|
|Move up/down/left/right in the menu|
|Move one page down/up in the menu|
|Select current entry|
|Exit from menu|
in the source directory. You can also build for the host, which is useful to test changes which are not Wii-specific (the menu etc still works). To do this, run
make clean make -C Src
The binary will be named Frodo. I run on Ubuntu Linux, and you need to install the libsdl-ttf2.0-dev and libsdl1.2-dev packages there to build for the host. I don't know how to build it on Windows and other systems.
The complete changelog can be read in CHANGES.WII in subversion, these are the most important changes.
- Fixed the buggy classic controller and allow binding all buttons on it
- More speed improvements. The emulation speed is now selectable
- A few bug fixes and code improvements
- Emulation speed has improved a bit
- Keybindings have been improved and extended (commodore key, del etc) and now behave more like the real keyboard
- Added support for the classic controller. Note: this is untested since I don't have a classic controller. Please test and fix bugs in this part!
- Add support for loading .prg, .p00 and .s00 files. Only .prg has been tested so the others might not work.
- Various glitches and small bugs (long filenames, sound in menus, frequent prefs saves etc) have been fixed
- Initial release
Thanks go to
- Christian Bauer for the original Frodo
- Wii/Gamecube SDL port for the graphics
- "Tantric"'s port of FCE Ultra, which the sound support was taken from (a bit modified)
- http://frodo.cebix.net: Official frodo page
- http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=178591: Announcement/discussion