Template:Infobox homebrewapp Gecko OS (formerly Gecko Region Free) by Nuke lets you load Wii games from other regions.
Load boot.elf from Chain Loader. Insert any Wii Game and press reset. Enjoy your region free gaming. As of beta 5, Gecko OS works correctly with the Homebrew Channel.
GeckoOS has the latest version of the Region Free app, which works with the Homebrew Channel. The latest version has increased compatibility with more games supported and issues running US games on PAL consoles fixed.
Cool Additional Bonus (optional)
If you own a USB Gecko it will install a remote debugger and screenshot engine into memory and will hook. This means you can load Gecko Tool version included and grab screen shots and use the remote debugger in any Wii game. This is all done on the fly and silently. Users without a USB Gecko, the remote debugger and screenshot engine is just ignored and has no effect on your game play!.
Gecko OS/Gecko Region Free was created with the homebrew libogc library. No certs, TMD, Tik, keys or other Nintendo copyright material were used or attached in the file, making it a pure homebrew release. No Datel code was used either, so please don't call this a clone etc as this and Freeloader work in completely different ways.
The decryption is done by the hardware, not in software and the correct IOS version of the game booting is selected and used. This is done by reading the information off the DVD using the low level read commands and then passed back to the starlet.
My own apploader was written, and will completely ignore the update partition, no patching is done except a region flag which is required.
This of course only works with Wii games.
Gecko 1.06f + Ocarina & Gamecube Game Support
GeckoOS is now combined with ocarina, with lots of bugs fixed. This is not a major release but alot of nice things have been fixed.
1. Gamecube Games / Imports now supported (thanks bushing!) 2. Date and Time issue fixed in games like Wii Sports, Brawl. 3. Glitching games fixed, i.e Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Metroid Prime 3 etc. 4. Sound fixed in Twilight Princess when using Gecko OS, WiiRD 5. SD Card bug fixed. Now you can still access the SD Card when using ocarina. 6. Disabled Wiimote when going in GC mode to avoid battery drainage.
1. Ocarina (thanks Link) 2. Some Extra hook types. 3. Turn Off and On Ocarina.
Some backend features have been added.
Things to note:
Ocarina just works as before, the codes need to be placed in the folder 'codes' on the SD card. Ocarina can be turned off in the config menu.
Check out the USB Gecko Forums www.usbgecko.com/forums if need any help.
Big thanks to
Link for Ocarina, code manager and lots of other great tools. Kenobi & Y.S for the cheat handler!.
Please note I take 'no' responsibility for the use of this software, If a game doesn't work you can report this in the USB Gecko forums, and I will try to fix it for the next release. It has worked on all games I've tried however I can not afford to buy all games so will need beta testers :) This will NOT work with backups without a modchip.
- GeckoOS release v1.06f, with latest Region Free for the Homebrew Channel and with orcarina.
- GeckoOS color fixed as above for those with color problems.
- GeckoOS elf for use with the Twilight Hack.
- Version 12
Xt5, Shagkur, Y.S, Bushing, Costis, Dhewg, Pinchy, Segher, TMBinc, brakken and tehskeen.com and all Gecko beta testers!