|This is an old revision of this page, as edited by LoganA at 00:19, 21 February 2012. It may differ significantly from the .|
LetterBomb is a safe way to enable homebrew on a Wii without hardware modification. LetterBomb is achieved by use of the Wii Messageboard which executes a homebrew application from an external SD card. Examples of such homebrew .elf or .dol files can be found on the Homebrew applications page. LetterBomb was created by Team Twiizers. This exploit only works with any region of System Menu 4.3.
This exploit works without any game in a manner very similar to the now defunct Bannerbomb.
Usage & Installation
For detailed instructions on using this method to set up Homebrew from start to finish, see Homebrew setup#Letterbomb
- SD or SDHC formatted as FAT16 or FAT32 (Preferably FAT16)
- System Menu 4.3 (any region).
- Your Wii’s WiFi MAC Address (available from your Wii’s system settings). This is needed because the Wii will only accept messages addressed to its specific MAC address.
- Some possibility to copy the savegame from the PC to the SD card (card reader, printer, etc.)
- Some homebrew software to load, (HackMii Installer) Although this isn't necessary, it's highly recommended (Will boot "boot.elf" file on root of SD)
- On Computer: Rename "private" folder to "privateold" on your SD card.
- On Computer: Copy the "private" directory from the LetterBomb download to the root of your SD card.
- On Computer: Take your homebrew (Preferably Hackmii Installer) and put it in the ROOT of your SD card as "boot.elf" Note that you can download the Hackmii Installer directly from the download link provided above.
- Wii: Put your SD card in your Wii and turn it on.
- Wii: Go into the Wii Messageboard and navigate to "Today", "Yesterday" or "Two days ago".
- Wii: Click on the appropriate envelope, sit back and prepare for the hacking glory.