Difference between revisions of "Newo Shooter"
|Line 35:||Line 35:|
* Allows Custom game levels.
* Allows Custom game levels.
<small>Add your ideas or suggestion by clicking on the 'discussion' tab or [[Talk:
<small>Add your ideas or suggestion by clicking on the 'discussion' tab or [[Talk:|here]]</small>
== Screen Shots ==
== Screen Shots ==
Revision as of 02:47, 9 October 2012
|Contributor(s)||Julian Mathonet, Des Walker, benanderson89, Kenney|
|Downloadable via the Homebrew Browser|
- 1 Features
- 2 Screen Shots
- 3 Gameplay Video
- 4 How to play
- 5 Controller
- 6 Credits
- 7 Customizing And Modding
- 8 Things I need/will implement
- 9 Known issues
- 10 Old Videos
- 11 Changelog
- 12 Inspiration & Thanx
Newo Shooter is a 3d spaceship shooting game on rails. The player must navigate a spaceship across many planets in search of the aliens that destroyed his home planet. Avoid obstacles and destroy enemies to receive power-ups.
- Start at any stage using a stage select
- Collect powerups to upgrade your ship and weapons
- Many different environments to visit
- On rails, simple, arcade style game play for all ages
- Destructible environment: shoot down clouds, asteroids and buildings
- Use your favourite Wiimote, Wiimote+Nunchuck, Classic Controller or Gamecube controller to play.
- Optionally use waggle controls or wiimote horizontal.
- Allows Custom game levels.
Add your ideas or suggestion by clicking on the 'discussion' tab or here
Courtesy of [Cid2Mizard]
How to play
The game is designed to be simple to play. The player ship automatically flies forward through the level. The player must move the ship in order to avoid enemy fire, walls and other obstacles to reach the end of the level.
When the player is hit, the green health bar at the top left of the screen will reduce. If the green bar reaches zero the player dies the game is over. Collect the green+ power-up to refill the health bar.
When the player approaches a boss, the level will stop and the player must destroy the boss until its health bar reaches zero in order to progress. The life bar of the boss is shown at the top right side of the screen.
The basic strategy is to shoot as many enemy ships as possible and collect all the power-up boxes to gain weapon upgrades (yellow) and bomb upgrades (blue). Bombs are very effective at killing most enemies. Bomb explosions can kill many enemies for bonus points but direct bomb hits deal more damage. The blue meter is the bomb charge meter, the player has to wait until this meter is filled before they can fire another bomb.
After the last level is finished the player wins the game and can restart the game with all points and upgrades collected.
All controls work for first player only. Wiimote pointed at the screen and nunchuck is the easiest to use. Gamecube controller with Dual Stick option set to "No" is more fun. Set the "Invert Up" option to "NO" if you want Up to be down and down to be up. On the Classic and GameCube you will be able to use the right analog stick to move the cross hair if Dual Stick is set to YES in the options. Note: In order to use the Wiimote Horizontal set the option Pointer=NO in the options.
|Options Menu / Accept|
|Quit Game Or Level|
|Not Available||Move Target Cursor|
- Owen - C Programming and Lua scripts
- Julian Mathonet - 3d Models and Textures
- Des Walker - Stage Backgrounds
- @benanderson89 - creator of Background Music used with permission
- Kenney - Title screen font designer
Customizing And Modding
The game uses the Lua.org Scripting engine to initialize each stage. Lua requires a little programming knowledge but is very simple, well documented and does not have to be re-compiled. Each planet has a Lua file in the "stage" directory. In the future you will be able to add more planets and levels. At present you can customize an existing level simply by editing the corresponding stage#.lua file using a text editor or notepad. More information can be found in the custom level blog post. How the script interacts with the game should be easy to see for a person with basic programming experience.
Things I need/will implement
I'm slowly working through the features I need to code so that I don't get overwhelmed. This is a short list of the features I need to implement;
Background Music (dubstep/midi/house/anything suitable and free)DONE Sound Effects: Explosions, Enemy Fire, Player Fire, Woosh Sound when flying past a building (I need a source for good free old-school sound effects) Sky boxDONE Models: Currently I am using Google Sketchup to create collada files. I may decide to scrap this feature and use only cubes or if I manage to finish enough ofthe game I may choose to release the code so someone can make modify it load models.FIXED
- Enemy and Boss Animations/Fire Patterns - Any help on the best way to implement these features in c will be appreciated.
Storyuse your imagination. Will not be fixed until game is functional.
- Various variables in the game need to be changed to make the game more challenging (such as enemy damage, scroll speed), any suggestions are welcomed.
I can be contacted by my email address which is on my user page, or leave suggestions on the discussion tab of this page.
- Removing the SD card or storage device causes a error message at the start of a new level because levels are loaded from the storage media.
- white and
bluepower ups have no effect. Blue power up increases bomb radius to 25x.
- Waggle controls abit unresponsive
Version 2.1 - July 04, 2012
Minor fixes and recompile to support new wii controllers
Version 2 - September 5, 2011
- Added 2 new levels and 8 new cheats.
- Updated the menu system and added a intro/credits screen.
- Added motion control options.
- Added new models created by Julian Mathonet, new backgrounds designed by Des Walker.
- Added music composed by benanderson89
- Added New title screen designed by Kenney.nl
- Updated Lua scripting (background_texture_load, set_obj_looped, set_obj_model, load_model)
- Fixed many bugs and mysteries.
Version 1.81a - April 30, 2011
- Added 2 new levels and 2 bonus moon levels. Total levels now 14.
- Added Controller support from wiimote horizontal ( set option POINTER=NO )
- Added explosion fragment effect
- Added background textures to a several stages
- Added moons to planets in stage select on title screen
- New Soundtrack is Journey to Silius Level 2 (Amiga Module) by benanderson89
- Added a new enemy type to the final stage
- Fixed Slowdown in level 3
- Changed smoke and bullet shape, added bomb trail, water splash
- Updated Lua API to allow programmers to set background and sun texture of stage.
- Fixed many bugs and strange things.
Version 1.77a - April 05, 2011
- Added 2 new levels. Total levels now 10.
- Added support for NunChuck, Classic, and Gamecube controllers.
- Added background music (Safe For Now by jmickle )
- Added new sound effects created using sfxr ( sound effect generator by DrPetter )
- Added options menu (in game press "+" or on title screen press "B" or "Start"):
- BGM Volume - set background music volume
- SE Volume - set sound effects volume
- Invert Up - switch the flying controls to be able to press up to move the ship down or reverse.
- HUD - hide the health meters and small text in game.
- Rumble - disable the wiimote rumble feature.
- Dual Stick - YES allows free control of the targeting cross-hair with the right stick ( classic / gamecube controllers)
- Pointer - same as above but with Wiimote IR (default=YES). When this is NO the target cursor follows movement of the ship.
- Quit/Exit - Leave the level or game.
- Added settings.txt (sound volume options, game variables and current planet are saved between games, woot!)
- Added new stardust effect "starhighway" (used in level 9 and 10).
- Added Blue power-up which increase player's bomb radius by 25x.
- Added ship pitch, ship yaw and banking effect to screen.
- Added small font for menus.
- Added new targeting system that follows the ship. (Set Pointer=NO in the options)
- Updated score system, bigger numbers and multipliers
- Added super awesomeness and fixed many little bugs in the game and levels.
Version 1.65a - March 03 2011
- added 2 new levels; 7 and 8 (C70B and Piano). Total levels now 8.
- added bomb ability with A button (when blue meter is full)
- added player spaceship model
- added pause game screen using plus button, home button exits level
- added sound effects
- added feature to allow play back of mp3 background music (if a file called "music.mp3" is placed in game folder)
- implemented Lua scripting for all levels. Now players can customize or build new levels using simple scripts.
- updated UI (new bomb charge meter, wider enemy health bar)
- updated game icon by sper56
- updated the graphics, barrel roll, scoring, collision detection and fixed some more bugs
- flashing red indicators at screen limits
- sound effects using ASNDLIB
- added 2 new bridge objects
- now 3000 lines of C code
- Nunchuck support added in game
Version 1.45 - February 01 2011
- added 4 new levels (tunnel, green planet, water world and dark city)
- added extra effects (stardust, landing lights, warp speed, fog )
- added warp to next level effect at the end of each level
- added level select, solar system menu (use dpad to switch between the 6 levels)
- added barrel roll animation when player moves left or right
- added new type of ground, sun, and more random clouds
- added bigger targeting cursor, bigger enemy box, all enemies are now purple
- added score counter, level start overlay
- tweaked the graphics, faded more colors, added black lines to everything
- lots of bug fixes
Version 1.38 - January 06 2011
- 2 levels (City, Asteroid Field), Score, Level Start, Title screen and ending screen
- Enemies now drop power ups ( yellow = weapon upgrade (4), green=health, white=free life, white=useless )
- Still no Models, Sounds or Music
- Purple Mid-Boss (stops stage until killed)
- GRRLIB plasma example in background.
- New destructible objects, Ground plain, clouds, grass, smoke animation, gravity, death spiral
- New HUD: Your health bar is Green. Enemy health meter is the color of the enemy and is in the center.
- Blue box is end of stage marker
- Improved frame rate, added on screen counter
- reduced the scroll speed of the stage
Version 1.0 - DEC 2010
- 1 infinite level
- 4 weapons
- No Sounds or Music
- orange enemies
- Buildings and Asteroids
- Initial release
Inspiration & Thanx
- Testers: Jammy, Aruskano, ficarra1002, kirbyboy, LightyKD
- Minecraft for the clouds
- PlayTechs: Programming for fun for fixing the menu
- GRRLIB forum for getting started
- dancinninja on the forum for fixing the Fog
- Random Terrain Hack
- Cid2mizard - for the in game youtube clips
- Lua and the Lua Scripting Engine Superb!
- DrPetter for his excellent sound effect generator SFXR