System Menu 4.0
Version 4.0 of the System Menu was released on March 25th, 2009. It was announced in Satoru Iwata's GDC keynote.
The announcement lists these changes:
- The Wii console can now use SDHC (SD High Capacity) Cards with a maximum of 32GB of storage.
- The SD Card Menu, which allows you to launch titles directly from an SD or SDHC Card, is added to the Wii menu.
- The Wii Shop Channel will now allow you to download titles directly to an SD or SDHC Card.
- The Wii console's Data Management menu has been enhanced to make it easier to copy and move stored items on an SD Card or the Wii console's system memory.
- There are other behind-the-scenes enhancements to the Wii console system menu included with Wii Menu 4.0
The update includes a batch of IOS updates issued a few hours before the System Menu update.
- 1 Regional Summaries Of Changes
- 2 Analysis Of Additions
- 3 What is affected
- 4 What is NOT affected
- 5 Message from Nintendo
- 6 External Links
Regional Summaries Of Changes
Analysis Of Additions
Likely added to thwart its use for piracy.
Slightly updated version (one minor version number) of the title included with Animal Crossing: City Folk.
High version number suggests this is the latest IOS currently available and will likely be used for the 3.5 System Menu update for Japan, US and European regions.
Possible use as the new Shop Channel IOS.
What is affected
|Twilight Hack 0.1beta2||Can no longer be copied from the SD card.||None yet|
|DVDx (new install)||None yet|
|The Homebrew Channel (new install)||New install and if copied to the SD card, cannot be move back to the system memory.||None yet|
What is NOT affected
|The Homebrew Channel (previous install)|
|DVDx (previous install)|
|WAD Manager (If cIOS was installed before update)|
Message from Nintendo
Liveblog of Nintendo GDC keynote (System Menu 4.0 mentioned at 9:48)