- 1 a few ideas i had
- 2 Custom Notes
- 3 Here Ya Go
- 4 GOF As A Channel
- 5 loading random stages
- 6 About 1.1
- 7 net.cpp
- 8 Some Patches
- 9 Compiling in Ubuntu
- 10 RB2 Drums
- 11 Ubuntu PC version
- 12 Broken Keyboard
- 13 Textured notes
- 14 Solo Sections
- 15 Unable to compile after r30.
- 16 Development versions
- 17 Stage thing
- 18 hmmm
- 19 Custom Notes in latest nightly build
- 20 Nyko Frontman Wireless Guitar
- 21 Rock Band USB Guitars
a few ideas i had
a why hello there daid, i was just playing 1.1 for the first time, and its the best thing since sliced bread. here's a few idea's i had and would be willing to help with. First off, Solo Sections, now im not sure if you would be more interested in The GH Solo way or the RB Way. Here's Some FYI's In Case You Decide To Go Through With This.
- MIDI note 103 (G6) marks solo sections (guitar only).
That's The Way MID's Compatible With FoFiX/RawkSD Work, Now Guitar Hero Just Has The Notes Tappable (with the exception of chords), but rockband add's up the notes in the solo sections as followed
- 100% Solo = 100% of notes added = perfect solo (- starpower/overdrive)
- 95-99 = 80% = great solo
- 90-95 = 70 = solid solo
- 80-89 = 60% = good solo
- 70 - 79 = 30% sloppy
- 65 = weak solo = 5%
Also, The Option For Several Scales In The Freestyle Area I Suggested, moving back and forth by using The DPAD On The Controller, I Will Provide Several Scales In MP3 Format As Requested. Also, I Think The Notes Themselves Should Be Redone, I'm Currently Authoring Some Examples To Hand To You. I Think You'll Be Very Pleased. Also, The Fanbase Has Concluded That Star Power Is Necessary, Star Power Is Authored As Following.
- Overdrive/Unison Phrases get authored on 116 G#7
And One More Idea I Had Was To Have Big Rock Endings, Like In Rockband. Authored on MIDI Note 120 C8-124 E8. other than that, the ability to download in-game. Thanks For Reading This Very...Very...Long Post (Well Thought Out =D) -- Calthephenom 19:52, 12 January 2010 (UTC) PS For More Info, Visit http://creators.rockband.com/spec/Authoring
- That link is awesome. Thanks! Just the info I was looking for. I'll see what I can do. --Daid 20:41, 12 January 2010 (UTC)
Thanks =D. I Also Just thought of a create a character function? that would be sweet to have a person you created out on the stage instead of some random people. it should be simple enough, an INI file containing things like the following
- head = 3
- body = 8
- guitar = 6
- shirt = 5
- pants = 11
... --Calthephenom 21:00, 12 January 2010 (UTC)
- Hehe, that's actually a cool idea. I thought about that when I first started playing with GOF, making custom stages and what-not.. KenithCanule 21:42, 12 January 2010 (UTC)
- I like the round GH like notes better then the flat square rockband notes. But you could make notes like that by editing the .raw files.
- And for your entertainment: http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4341/gof.jpg --Daid 22:59, 12 January 2010 (UTC)
I can't seem to get custom notes to work correctly. I am trying to make GH3 notes, but they are having all kinds of bugs. i'll see if i can get a pic. EriQH 23:36, 12 January 2010 (UTC) Coolio Calthephenom 00:12, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
- Well, I got them to work. i think. but it is hard to tell if they are working right b/c every mesh is the same color. i tried changing the color in blender so it would change the outcome, but it seems that .raw files do not save the color. EriQH 00:31, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
- The .raw files only contain triangles. I handle all the coloring and shading in code. I know it's not perfect, but it works. Better model support is something I want to add for the next version, because these .raw files work, but are not easy to work with at all. --Daid 10:06, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
- yeah, I'm actually starting to get the hang of it. i figured out that I can use the bottom ring from a GH3 note as the note bg, and it is closer. it would still be nice to have a better system. maybe where you can have multiple meshes and color each one differently? EriQH 19:20, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
- I managed to get .OBJ files with textures working yesterday. Which should be a much nicer format to work with, and the notes also look a bit better now. I still want to tweak them a bit more. But it should be easier to customize after this. There will be the following files:
- note.obj (basic note) with 5 textures
- note_hopo.obj (hopo note) with 5 textures one for each color
- note_fp.obj (starpower giving note) with 5 textures one for each color
- note_fp_hopo.obj (starpower giving hopo) with 5 textures one for each color
- note_afp.obj (active starpower note) with 1 texture as starpower makes all notes the same color
- note_afp_hopo.obj (active starpower hopo) with 1 texture as starpower makes all notes the same color
- note_solo.obj (solo section note) with 5 textures one for each color
- note_solo_hopo.obj (solo section hopo) with 5 textures one for each color
- I hope that's better. --Daid 11:08, 15 January 2010 (UTC)
- Five textures for each color? or one texture for each color? (5 total) EriQH 01:58, 17 January 2010 (UTC)
- One for each color ;) --Daid 11:38, 17 January 2010 (UTC)
- That sounds awesome! i'm gonna have to mess around with Textures now :D lol i had never done anything with 3d stuff until i started playing with this cause FoFFF has Fatdog and ppl like that that are good at it. this is great! :)
EriQH 03:56, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
Here Ya Go
http://www.mediafire.com/?mntzjtmy5jj i made some backing track's for the freestyle mode. figured it'd be a good addition (4.5mb, 6 1 minCalthephenom 01:20, 13 January 2010 (UTC)ute tracks ranging from Metal to techno, to classic rock)Calthephenom 01:20, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
GOF As A Channel
I Decided To Make A GOF WAD (Completely Legal, Used CustomizeMii). I'll Pass It Along To You, But It's Not Recomended To Use, It's Untested. I'll Test It On Friday When I ReInstall Bootmii. Heres The Link -- http://www.mediafire.com/?zntghdzbmy2 -- Calthephenom 03:07, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
- I'm not a supporter of custom channels and WAD files. I understand that there are people out there that want this. So they are free to use it of course. But don't come complaining to me when it fucks up your Wii. --Daid 10:14, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
I've tested this wad on a 4.2u firmware that is softmodded and it works when your sd card that has the boot.dol and info for guitarsonfire inserted. The songs on the usb device also work. This is just for those that might want to get this and were afraid of bricking their wiis. Uribemaster 07:01, 30 January 2010 (UTC)
loading random stages
could someone tell me the problem with my code to load random stages? http://pastebin.com/f3ad8d485 It says "then expected near '='" the problem is in the first line. but they are all the same so they probably would all bring back errors. EriQH 07:15, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
- http://pastebin.com/m5c88d77d this should work. A single '=' is an assignment, while a double '==' is a compare. Also, the math.random makes a random number between the first and second argument. So that needs to be math.random(0, 4) for the numbers 0,1,2,3,4.
- Some recommended reading material if you want to know more about lua: http://www.lua.org/pil/index.html and the reference manual: http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#pdf-math.random --Daid 09:56, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
- ahh ok. my bad. i'm kinda new to coding. thanks :D EriQH 19:15, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
- No problemo. Feel free to ask anything. --Daid 11:09, 15 January 2010 (UTC)
Hey Daid good job on 1.1 but im confused about something. Even if a song is only on expert guitar, it shows it as playable on all instruments and difficulties on the playing screen. Is it just me? the rest is flawless sorry if i`m being a pest Uribemaster 07:37, 17 January 2010 (UTC)
- Yeah, this is so your difficulty/instrument setting does not change if you select songs that you cannot play with that combination. Some complicated code seeks the most appropriate difficulty/instrument combination that fits you. --Daid 11:42, 17 January 2010 (UTC)
Oh ok i see dude your app is awesome lol Uribemaster 16:31, 17 January 2010 (UTC)
Dude i found either a bug or a mistake. If a song has guitar,bass, and drums the game loads them as follows. If you want to load guitar, it loads drums. If you want to load drums, it loads guitar. Bass is loaded just fine. Uribemaster 00:55, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
- Stange. What difficulties/instrument combinations are available on that song, and which did you choose? (difficulty is also an important factor here) I had no problems with the the songs that have guitar+bass+drums, but all those songs I have have 4 difficulties for all instruments. --Daid 10:00, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
It has all dificulties for all 3 instruments. When i tested it more sometimes it just randomly loads whatever instrument it wants regardless of difficulty. Most of the time its guitar swiched with drums. The thing is all the songs i have with all difficulties and instruments do this. Any clue why? Uribemaster 15:47, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
- Clueless. It should just pick the difficulty you choose if it has notes. All the 'search for something else that fits' code has checks before it that check if the current instrument/difficulty combo has notes. Something you could use to verify, the highscores ingame add the score to the actual instrument/difficulty which you played (after modifications). While the scores online ( http://daid.mine.nu/guitarsonfire/ ) show the instrument/difficulty combo that you choose. If they don't match up, then something really strange is happening. --Daid 17:09, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
Umm i tried it and its still wrong ill try 1.0 to see if the same error happensUribemaster 20:27, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
I think the prob might be that the songs are for fofix and fof but maybe not compatible with Gof Uribemaster 06:47, 22 January 2010 (UTC)
Oh i see what the problem was now. The tracks werent alligned correctly. They were in the order of drums bass then guitar instead of guitar bass and drums on the songs. Ok now i see sorry for the false sorta accusationlike statement. Uribemaster 06:58, 30 January 2010 (UTC)
i was looking at your source for net.cpp, and from what i have seen, it appears you have implemented my in-game download idea =D, it starts around 3/4 of the way down.is there any way that once you get a new feature set up, you could email me the dol? email@example.com , also , i had one more idea. a "Message Of the Day" Feature, towards the bottom of the main screen like in RB2. i'll set up a little script if you want me to, that would modify the message of the day, thanks Calthephenom 17:17, 17 January 2010 (UTC) edit: heres the code to insert the message into a database, im not sure if you want to password protect it or not, but here's the code.http://pastie.org/782023 the form is self explanatory it shouldn't be too hard for you Calthephenom 17:31, 17 January 2010 (UTC) heres the form -- http://pastie.org/782058
- That feature is not yet done, very buggy. I'm not happy with the current implementation. I need to rethink a few things. Many songs are distributed as rar files, which gives some license issues. (unrar sourcecode can only be used noncommercial, but GPL does not allow me to set any other restrictions to the source, so that does not mix well)
- Also, I suggest you google 'sql injection' for your MOTD code. --Daid 18:54, 17 January 2010 (UTC)
i knew about SQL Injection, i just didn't feel like adding it :P. well there thoughts i had on the ingame downloading was that i could set up a blogger blog (already did, lol), and direct link to the zips, just since zip's are easier to work with. i'll maintain the DLC once you get it set up =D. anything else i can do to help? --Calthephenom 22:30, 17 January 2010 (UTC)
- Sloppy code leaves a bad impression. For the DLC, I'll put up a site where you can add links. I've 'harvested' links from the FoF wiki, but only 2 out of about 1000 are usable with the current code. If I can get mediafire downloads to work then the list grows to about 400 (but quite some links of those are dead) --Daid 11:02, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
ok. if needed, i have 2 10GB Hosts, and 1 5GB Host. i have enough space to host most of the customs =D (plus my HDD Has like 170GB Free =D, so i could set up apache). Things like mediafire And Megaupload will be harder to work with, due to the captcha's. will the downloads come from a mysql database? i already have a customs script working, if you want it --Calthephenom 17:14, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
- Please, try to use 'patch' files. If you checkout from subversion, then you can use tortoiseSVN to generate patchs. A proper patch looks like this: http://pastebin.com/m41d97fa2.
- I also don't get your patch. I got the scoring calculation from: http://wiki.scorehero.com/SoloBonus yours doesn't make sense. Even has a higher value for good then great. --Daid 09:49, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
Compiling in Ubuntu
Daid, Would you mind if i bug you about how to compile from source on Ubuntu. I have tried many times, with many different games. But have had not luck. i downloaded Code::Blocks but it says that "The defined compiler for release cannot be located". I installed DevkitPPC but idk if it was set up right. EriQH 04:04, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
- I've documented my code::blocks settings here. I've updated the Makefiles in svn, you should be able to use "make -f Makefile.wii" now (it might miss a few libraries, as my devkitpro installation on linux is broken and I couldn't test them properly) --Daid 10:44, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
- I get
- "main.cpp:11:17: error: smb.h: No such file or directory
- main.cpp: In function 'TDirEntry* selectSong(TDirEntry*)':
- main.cpp:494: error: 'smbInitDevice' was not declared in this scope
- make: *** [.obj_wii/main.o] Error 1"
- i'm really new to this stuff. sorry if i'm a bother. EriQH 17:38, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
- No problem at all. You are missing the tinySMB library. Which is strange, as it should be in devkitpro. However, you could just remove those lines (between the #ifdef GEKKO, #endif), and the #include <smb.h>. As it's only needed for the SMB functionality. --Daid 20:02, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
- Now i'm getting this http://pastebin.com/me1b92ca I don't seem to have a "zlib.h" file that it's looking for. And Code::Blocks gives me this error
- "/home/thehigdons/Desktop/GOF/readdir.cpp: In constructor ‘TSongInfo::TSongInfo(const char*)’:
- /home/thehigdons/Desktop/GOF/readdir.cpp:66: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’" EriQH 07:27, 19 January 2010 (UTC)
- Mmm, zlib.h is from zlib (surprise!) it's an essential library, as PNG loading depends on it. In the windows version it's installed by default. I see now, the install instructions for devkitPPC are just incomplete on linux. You can use my DevkitProLinuxInstall that should create a good devkitPPC install for GoF. --Daid 11:14, 19 January 2010 (UTC)
- Ok thanks. I never saw your script. but it gives me this error.
- "./Devkitppc.sh: 27: function: not found
- /: Unsupported scheme.
- Failed to download" EriQH 15:33, 19 January 2010 (UTC)
- My mistake. It tries to use /bin/sh, which is dash on Ubuntu. While the script was made for bash. I've updated it and it should work now. You didn't notice it before because it wasn't there ;) I just added it. --Daid 17:05, 19 January 2010 (UTC)
- Ok it installed. but i am having the same problem. i found that if i copy and paste the "zlib.h" file into the "unzip" folder it gets past that error. but now i am getting the same problem with "gccore.h" and "ogcsys.h" pasting them into the folder does no good. i think it may be looking in a different directory. EriQH 17:26, 19 January 2010 (UTC)
- Wow... i wasted a lot of your time and my time trying to get this to work when the answer was right beneath my nose. I didn't set the environment variable. Idk why i didn't remember that. I knew i had to cause i also compiled GuitarFun from source at one time. sorry about that. EriQH 19:21, 19 January 2010 (UTC)
hey, i've been thinking, if i could get the address codes of the rockband 2 drums, do you think you could include it in GOF? im thinking of patching WiiUse. should be simple enough--Calthephenom 17:31, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
- I would need a bit more then just address codes. I could add the drum code for GH drums from the information found in at Wiimote/Extension Controllers#Guitar Hero World Tour (Wii) Drums --Daid 20:08, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
ok, and btw, what is the status of the animated backgrounds i suggested? are you going to see if you can use DVDx? --Calthephenom 22:36, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
- Movies as background is not something I'm working on anymore. I have other things which I find more important, and only limited time. --Daid 23:06, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
ok no biggy, i just wondered if you had taken it on--Calthephenom 01:29, 19 January 2010 (UTC)
Ubuntu PC version
Ok so i got it all compiled and working for the wii. and then I tried to compile it for PC and it wouldn't work i found that I needed to make a quick change to the "video.cpp" file. Line 19 was
"char* c = strchr(str, '\n');"
and I changed it to
"const char* c = strchr(str, '\n');"
And it worked. However, it doesn't seem to find the songs folder.know what the problem could be? EriQH 00:41, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
- Changed that, stange, as I don't get that error. What version of gcc are you using?
- It cannot find the songs because of readdir.cpp, Look at line 39+40 ;) --Daid 10:02, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
- Ok thanks. I have GCC version 4:4.4.1-1EriQH 22:49, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
I see that in the latest commits you say that the keyboard configuration is broken. does that mean that the keyboard won't work at all? or can you just not set the keys. cause i need to test some stuff when i get a chance and if the keyboard won't work then i need to roll back a few versions. EriQH 23:07, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
- The SVN version is ongoing development, I won't make any guarantees about it's state. Especially when I'm making major changes. In this case, the keyboard itself works, but the changing of the keyboard mapping won't work for the wii version (just commited changes for the PC version). I'm making major changes in the input area for a port to the "Open Pandora", and I'm going to make major changes to game.cpp for better gametype support. With those changes stuff will be in a broken state from time to time. --Daid 23:18, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
- Right. I understand. i was just wondering if it would be possible to test what i have done with a keyboard. thanks EriQH 23:53, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
I tried to use your notes as a template to make some new ones, and it doesn't seem to work right. http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7739/38913407.png I used the same layout as you. And I pasted my Notes over top yours so I could make them the same size and stuff. (the lines in the pic are not there in-game. it must have messed up taking the screenshot.) EriQH 06:13, 21 January 2010 (UTC)
- Looks like the textures are in the wrong format. They need to be 24 bit PNGs WITH transparency. The transparency is something I found out when I made the new notes. If you want me to take a look at them just send them over ;) --Daid 09:57, 21 January 2010 (UTC)
- The problem is not with my code or the textures. It's with the UV mapping of your model. If I import the model into an 3D editor and apply your texture to it then it looks the same as on your screenshot. --Daid 22:38, 21 January 2010 (UTC)
- Oh. DUH. My bad. I got it now :)EriQH 09:38, 22 January 2010 (UTC)
is there any way you could change the fretboard to something along the lines of . also, i have two more ideas.counting the percentage hit in the solo so far, and a clock ticking down with the remaining time? is there any kind of GFX/MID Spec Things i could help you with? kthx -- calvin
Unable to compile after r30.
In r31 and 31 I get this error when trying to compile. http://www.pastebin.org/81406 You may already now about this. I just figured i would throw it out there since in the past i got compile warnings that you didn't
- It was just mods.cpp missing from the Makefile (new file, only added it in the codeblocks project yet). r32 should fix it. Note, good chance that the next few updates will break a lot of features, as I'm redoing lots of the gamelogic code. --Daid 14:12, 24 January 2010 (UTC)
- Alright. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't any real problem. Thanks :) i'll be ready to roll back a revision if stuff breaks.EriQH 15:28, 24 January 2010 (UTC)
I've setup a script to make new builds at night. You can find these builds at: http://daid2.mine.nu/~daid/GoF/
The sources used to build these versions are at: http://daid2.mine.nu/svn/Wii/GuitarsOnFire/
It contains full builds with all the files you need (except song files) and just single dol files. Use these at your own risk, they won't mess up your Wii. But they might not work at all or give strange results.
Main reason why I supply these is because the development version contains a new file format for the notes, and the ability to use mods without overriding game files. And people want to toy around with that. --Daid 10:38, 25 January 2010 (UTC)
Hello im using my wii's internet at the moment but I want to ask you something Difficult and/or easy Can you help me make another stage? And I have a stage crafted after the game called maplestory and I want to send or post it somewere here in the stages area of the site but first you have to look at the stage so you can tell me to add anything or if its ok as is. Oh and I have a couple of (kinda) appealing stages I want you to see. I will post links later on in the disscussions under this post when I get to use the computer. --Labtech9998 07:24, 27 January 2010 (UTC)
i was reading about zlib today. and i saw there was compression features, is there any chance that if users enable the feature, songs will auto upload to your server? --Calthephenom 02:12, 28 January 2010 (UTC)
- That makes as much sense as "I saw McDonalds sells burgers, does starbucks give free t-shirts now?". And I won't ever allow upload of songs on my server because of bandwidth and copyright issues. --Daid 09:47, 28 January 2010 (UTC)
Custom Notes in latest nightly build
Do you now of any reason why these notes http://www.mediafire.com/?w3wwmzmmmyy would cause it to crash? everytime I start the game the graphics are all buggy and then it crashes. In the PC version it starts but the neck never moves. IDK if that is b/c of the notes or not. EriQH 20:59, 28 January 2010 (UTC)
- Simple, the note.obj is an empty file. :P the hopo version seems to work fine here. And I think the never moving neck is a bug I caused. I should commit a bunch of huge changes soon to, but my current code it not stable yet. --Daid 21:32, 28 January 2010 (UTC)
- Oh. Must not have exported right in blender. :( i thought i checked caus i have had this problem before. EriQH 22:43, 28 January 2010 (UTC)
Nyko Frontman Wireless Guitar
I have the Nyko Frontman Wireless Guitar. As you know this does not work with GuitarsOnFire. I'm not sure what causes the problem but I would be willing to help you out and test things. Let me know what you need.Geegee 18:49, 29 January 2010 (UTC)
- Great. I should put a test file up here soon. I haven't forgot about this. Just need some time to make a proper test app. --Daid 17:29, 31 January 2010 (UTC)
- Sounds good. I will keep checking back for the test app. Thanks .Geegee 03:49, 1 February 2010 (UTC)
Rock Band USB Guitars
I was about to download this to try it out until I noticed the disclaimer on not supporting USB guitars. I'm somewhat confused as to why that's so hard. The rock band USB guitars use standard USB gamepad/joystick setup w/ POV hat as the D-Pad/Strum bar, Buttons mapped to the buttons (slightly out of order), the plus and minus buttons are mere buttons, the overdrive/starpower is a button as well and the whammy is a zaxis that resets to zero if it's not being moved. I can give you more specifics on the buttons for the guitar/drums if you want them.
As I only have the Rock Band guitars and cannot test the game in any way that I'd feel comfortable with, I have not tried the game, but I will say that you should refer to FoFiX if you have coding issues with any of the more advanced Rock Band 2/World Tour like features. If you included full 4 player Guitar/Bass/Drums gameplay compatible with all means of control that would amazing!
(BTW, this is my first time attempting to use a talk page, if I screwed anything up I'm sorry.) --RockGuy32 —Preceding undated comment added 08:21, 31 January 2010 (UTC).
- Interesting, that's more info that I found so far. I'll have a look at USB gamepad/joystick support to see what I can whip up. Not promising anything though ;) --Daid 17:28, 31 January 2010 (UTC)
Ok, Here's the button/axis configurations:
Rock Band Guitar
|Solo/High frets||Button 1-5 with button 7|
The pickup switch thingy is the Z-Rotation axis and resets to center when changes are not being made The Whammy is the Z-Axis and much the same way resets to center (not zero like I originally though, sorry)
Rock Band Drums
The drum pads press down the following buttons on the initial hit as well as button 8 much like the soloing frets on the guitar. The D-pad is a POV hat just like the guitar.
The mic is a standard USB Logitech audio input and works on a PC as well.
I do not have the Rock Band 2 Guitar/Drums but I assume they work much the same way. Also, I have no clue how to use the controller port lights on either controller but they work fine without them.
Hope this was helpful, I'm willing to help with this as much as I can although I have no experience with coding on the Wii. I've only used Blitz Basic 3D, but I would recommend looking at FoFiX's (http://code.google.com/p/fofix/) source code if you have any problems.
- Good info :D I've put it in tables, makes it easier to read. The main problem for the Wii is the lack of a USB Joystick/Gamepad driver as far as I know. (PC games can just use the driver from windows/linux making life easier) --Daid 10:10, 1 February 2010 (UTC)