Difference between revisions of "WiiBrew:Contests"
|Line 152:||Line 152:|
=== MadCatMk2 ===
=== MadCatMk2 ===
Background By: imjtk.com Disc Layout By: CLOSEDone
Background By: imjtk.com Disc Layout By: CLOSEDone
=== Nolimits59 ===
=== Nolimits59 ===
Revision as of 09:13, 25 March 2008
This is to act as a central point for the requesting, suggesting, and possibly voting on potential logos for projects related to Wii homebrew. Needless to say, all images must be released under an acceptable free license (it will be included in a GPLv2 program) and contain no copyrighted imagery. Each request can be thought of as a "contest". Be sure to spread the word to anyone you think would be interested about current contests!
- 1 Notes
- 2 Contest: Homebrew channel banners
- 2.1 A252
- 2.2 Amoose136
- 2.3 Azeazezar
- 2.4 Brentley_11
- 2.5 CHR
- 2.6 Cladil
- 2.7 CyberAxe
- 2.8 Disenyo
- 2.9 Flyinghorse
- 2.10 GiTkuA
- 2.11 h4xx
- 2.12 Javo
- 2.13 Jeremy2491
- 2.14 limnique
- 2.15 Linkinworm
- 2.16 MadCatMk2
- 2.17 Nolimits59
- 2.18 OsC
- 2.19 RazielDSM
- 2.20 SanjoPanjo
- 2.21 Scorpei
- 2.22 Sir Smokealot
- 2.23 souLLy
- 2.24 Spykr
- 2.25 Trayne
- 2.26 WB3000
- 2.27 WB3000
- 3 Contest: Homebrew channel music
- 4 Links to Other Contests
- 4.1 Contest: General Homebrew (ACTIVE)
- 4.2 Alpha
- 4.3 amoose136
- 4.4 CyberAxe
- 4.5 Cladil
- 4.6 dasda
- 4.7 Kaktus621
- 4.8 Hideki
- 4.9 limnique
- 4.10 MadMUHHH
- 4.11 MetaBolt
- 4.12 M.vit
- 4.13 olster2
- 4.14 Pinecone
- 4.15 Pop
- 4.16 opoona
- 4.17 Trayne
- 4.18 Yigguth
- 4.19 PZYR0
- 4.20 Contest: Zelda Chainloader (FINISHED)
Many users appear to be coming here to submit artwork, bypassing the Introduction, and aren't familiar with how to use a wiki. If you are a user who wants to post some artwork but cannot figure out how, the following articles will be very helpful:
- Wikipedia Editing Cheatsheet
- How to edit a page (To learn how to do something, search this page)
- Upload images here (Register before doing this)
- How to Link to Uploaded Images
- Please use .png if possible.
Try your best to follow existing formatting, but if you can't do it someone will fix it for you.
Be sure to add usernames in alphabetical order and pictures in order of release.
Because this page is receiving such large amounts of traffic not related to the rest of the wiki, it is exempt from the Loose Rules and offending users will not be penalized. That said, the page still needs to be constantly checked and fixed for common errors. Some of the most common have been:
- Not adding new usernames and entries according to alphabetical order
- Irregular capitalization and grammar. Just follow standard rules of US English grammar.
- Pictures not linked correctly
- (Add any others)
Please fix these problems when you see them.
Started by henke37.
<marcan> [...]remember this is an animated thing and we're still figuring out the format
<marcan> so make sure you keep the .psd files or whatever in separate layers, since the banners are composed of multiple objects.
<marcan> just keep in mind two things
<marcan> 1) whoever wins will have to work with me on the final version
<marcan> 2) we'll also need a savegame banner, tp hack style, from the winner
The banner is an dynamic animation with sound. It also has a preview banner that appears in the Wii menu when not zoomed in. The format supports scripting and some kind of reading of wiiconnect 24 data. Please make sure that all submissions look cool both with and without widescreen.
Good luck since it's a proprietary format without usable documentation.
A few tips regarding the format (we're getting it figured out lately):
- Images are static bitmaps, in several texture formats (we can pick the best for each case)
- Alpha channels are supported. Also alpha blending. Alpha masks are there, but we don't fully understand them yet.
- The layout is formed by "panes", each of which can contain more panes or pictures. Think of it as "groups" in a vector editor, except we're working with bitmaps and collections of bitmaps here. You can move individual bitmaps, or move a pane which moves all of its contents. Remember, it's all recursive, so panes can contain more panes. There is one root pane that contains the entire image or banner.
- Animation is keyframe-based, with smooth nonlinear transitions (with acceleration). So far we know how to move things and how to alpha-fade things.
- There is a group system for selecting one of several options, mostly used to deal with the different languages. So keep in mind we'll want international versions of the textual logos.
- 16:9 vs 4:3 seems to be handled simply by cropping the edges of the picture in 4:3 mode as far as I can tell. There may be a way of positioning elements relative to the actual edge of the screen, or not. Make sure nothing important is cut off when the cropping occurs.
- Remember, there are two parts to a channel: the icon (thumbnail), and the banner (fullscreen).
So, don't try to do vector animations or anything like that, since those would have to be included as animated textures (yuck), and we don't even know if those are supported or how they work yet. Things doable with affine transforms (scaling, rotating, shearing, moving) should be fine, since the Check Mii Out icon seems to use them (the dancing men), but we're not entirely sure how they work yet.
Also, remember that the official name is the Homebrew Channel, not the Wiibrew Channel or antyhing like that. So you'll want to use something like that for the small version. For the large version, something like "Homebrew Launcher" or the likes is acceptable (describing the purpose of the channel). Think of Wiibrew as the "vendor" of the channel, not the channel itself. We'll probably stick the Wiibrew logo in a corner or something, but it doesn't make much sense as the name of the channel itself.
Also, don't use any WC24 features or any of that. Don't expect us to figure out those scrolling news banners in time for release. Not even close.
Some templates to get you started on designing. These should help give an artistic leg-up until a more applicable solution becomes available.- Trayne
- Wood :
- Flash mockup of the 16:9 menu (There is no music)
- Gray :
- Blue :
- Youtube video of the 4:3 menu
- 'Ocean Palms':
- 'Rocket to China':
- Submission that will end the contest:
The Logo for the donwload.
- Inspired and based on the original Fairii from Trayne. For a more detailed description see the images themselves :). Below is a version with a little green on the hill where the fairy is sitting..... Also, since some people feel fairies are lame (sigh) it could of course carry a different name with for example link sitting on the hill.
Now as for the animated version (5.5 megabytes in size): This is just to show you an example of what can be done. Pretty much everything in the image is a variable (from the background tone to the contrast in the sea compared to the sky and of course the general brightness). Also the Fairii logo is independently controlled for brightness. This animation doesn't have a small fairy yet though.
- Added grass (it can fade-in too so when the sun comes up the grass gets iluminated; this isn't full brightness btw as the sun isn't fully risen either) and a small line of credits bottom left. Seems like a good spot and also rather justly to mention team twiizers on the launcher banner ;)).
Made a rough animated version of the grass+small_fairy version. Keep in mind it's rought though, the fading can (as with the other 'version') vary depending on what is wanted. So can the movement. Animated version grass here. Also working on some background music to fit the animation, will put it up once I have something I'm satisfied with :).
- I've also been looking at designing the save file images. As the banner I made has such a warm feel to it I felt I needed to create a similar image yet slightly different and of course smaller with more accent on the name. As options = bliss I've made two versions (so far) with different texts underneath the name. The original "homebrew launcher" and "Installer":
- Also made one that is a little more classic (if Dasda allows of course as it is his base image) if that is preferred:
- And a merger of the two:
Obviously inspired by Kaktus621's excellent work.
Fairii is meant to be a pun on the ELF and Zelda connection.
NOTE: I didn´t knew how to upload this image :S
Contest: Homebrew channel music
Post music you made or music you think would be good. Ideally it should loop well.
To clarify: This is the music for the screen when the Homebrew channel banner(s) are being displayed. (There is currently no plan for what will come after "Start" is selected, suggestions can be posted on the WiiBrew Channel Ideas article though.)
Remember, all must be under an acceptable free license.
The Newgrounds Audio Portal would be a good place to look, since all music there is the music is free to use (being released under a Creative Commons license), if you want to help.
Here is a little loop i knocked up on a Nintendo game boy especialy for this project.
I don't believe long songs are the way to go, for filesize reasons and because the channel screen will usually only be on for a few seconds. So here's a short loop (approx. 8.5 secs), multi-layered so it doesn't get boring too soon, going on the underwater theme of souLLy's screen. EQ is on the careful side, not going overboard on bass and techno elements. Audioo doesn't work for me, so I chose a random file host (open to suggestions tho): http://uploaded.to/?id=azgs3e
Here's a snippet from a groovy background music i made. Enjoy ! (Or let it be :) )
Threw this together using a couple of ideas from other songs on here. It's tweakable. Let me know.
Different version. quicker to the point.
A little intro tune I threw together: http://ejellyfish.illemonati.com/mp3/WiiBrew%20Channel%20Intro.mp3 Check it out. (Yes, the tagging is correct-- Exploding Jellyfish is the name I put my music under. It is not stolen music from elsewhere.)
Here are just two songs that I made see if you like it.
And another one I forgot to upload
Just some from newgrounds that I quickly found, idk what kind of flavor it should have but those sound good to me.
- http://www.pown.us/flashes/?uid=256 (Seriously not for epileptic people)
I jam out to this and I think it's a good fit for a wii channel.
- This music is featured in the movie "The Life Aquatic". I believe this is NOT under any free license. --Fashnek 16:45, 23 March 2008 (PDT)
Candidate 2: http://audioo.com/#section:home_tracks_viewtrack_29596198d266e39 This one would rock with 5 seconds delay and then after that everything comes up.
Contact me @ GBATemp user superrob if you want me to get more tracks
Links to Other Contests
Contest: General Homebrew (ACTIVE)
<segher> the logo should at first glance refer to our homebrew stuff, not just to the game <MadCatMk2> Just a quick recommendation: I think the logo should be rather simplistic, so as smaller versions are easily recognisable.
A lot of the less-specific entries into the Zelda Chainloader contest would be good candidates for the General Homebrew logo.