These are some currently popular questions in the #wiihelp channel. Remember to read the Channel FAQ before you jump in.
THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO ASK QUESTIONS.
- 1 General
- 1.1 Are we using the SDK? Is there an SDK from Nintendo for Wii development? Is it leaked?
- 1.2 Are there any homebrew applications available for the Wii?
- 1.3 Will a Wii System Update brick my hacked Wii?
- 1.4 How do I turn off my Wii if the application does not have an option to turn off, or hangs?
- 1.5 What if the next Wii update patches the Twilight Hack?
- 1.6 What if the next Wii update patches the trucha bug?
- 1.7 How do I program games for the Wii?
- 2 Wii Hacking
- 2.1 What's happening now?
- 2.2 The Fish Disc looks really promising
- 2.3 How can I boot homebrew on my Wii?
- 2.4 What new features are you planning for the next release?
- 2.5 How did this happen?
- 2.6 Can I use the Wii Remote in the homebrew applications?
- 2.7 Can I use GameCube homebrew on the Wii with a loader?
- 3 Twilight Hack
- 4 Homebrew channel
Are we using the SDK? Is there an SDK from Nintendo for Wii development? Is it leaked?
Are there any homebrew applications available for the Wii?
Many applications are available at the Homebrew apps page.
Will a Wii System Update brick my hacked Wii?
Probably not, however, you must be careful what hacked programs you run on your Wii as the programs themselves are capable of bricking your Wii.
How do I turn off my Wii if the application does not have an option to turn off, or hangs?
Hold the power button for 5 seconds until the Wii powers down.
What if the next Wii update patches the Twilight Hack?
The System Menu 3.3 & 3.4 Updates tried to patch this bug by deleting the Twilight Hack save and preventing it from being copied from an SD card into the internal storage. Flaws in the implementation of those checks allowed the Twilight Hack to work around it, but we expect that the next update will do a better job of blocking the Twilight Hack.
Work is underway to find a hack in a new game, but we will not release it until the Twilight Hack stops working.
What if the next Wii update patches the trucha bug?
The System Menu 3.3 Update patched this bug (by including a newer version of IOS30).
How do I program games for the Wii?
I have some basic skills in C++ program but everything here is too advanced for me and I don't know where to start. --Chosen One 41 18:31, 6 August 2008 (CEST)
- Well obviously you start by downloading devkitPPC and libOGC. The template is very good for understanding how to do the basics. There are some good lessons on GX too. Maybe you could say specifically what you are having trouble with. --vader347 20:19, 6 August 2008 (CEST)
What's happening now?
A lot of people are working on fancy Wii homebrew. Lots of work remains to be done.
- Building a working toolchain environment
- Making a working low-level library to access hardware (CPU/GPU/controllers/USB/Framebuffers and debugging)
- Documenting memory maps
- Discovering usage of registers for (Audio Interface, Serial Interface, Memory Interface, Video Interface)
- Triggering and setting up interrupt handling
- Working on a stable Initial Program Loader
- Reverse engineering IOS and other binary files
- Where can someone start learning skills like these, and start helping the community? Are there tutorials or pages anywhere that teach you the basics?--IqAndreas 04:13, 15 November 2008 (UTC)
The Fish Disc looks really promising
The Fish Disc is able to transfer the bare essentials (savegames, preferences) of one Wii to another. It also allows all personal data to be erased, much like the "Format System Memory" option. It is not useful for most end-users.
How can I boot homebrew on my Wii?
See the Twilight Hack.
What new features are you planning for the next release?
Hopefully, source code.
How did this happen?
The "tweezer" attack was originally used to access the restricted parts of the RAM. This allowed them to access/discover an exploit (as used in the original video)
There are a lot of keys, encryption methods, protection and systems in place. Most of these are not public.
Can I use the Wii Remote in the homebrew applications?
Can I use GameCube homebrew on the Wii with a loader?
Wii Gamecube Homebrew Launcher may work.
How does the Twilight Hack work?
An exploit has been found in the Wii game "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess". Once used it launches custom code. It is similar to the GTA PSP Exploit.
How do I use the Twilight Hack?
The Twilight Hack page has everything you need to know on how to use the exploit.
Is the Twilight Hack affected by the latest update?
Although the hack itself may not be, the June 16th update will check for and, if found, delete the Twilight Hack save game and refuse to recopy it onto the Wii. A newer version of the Twilight Hack was made to defeat this check.
Where can I get the homebrew channel?
Does the homebrew channel do "X"?
Check on this page.
Can I request a feature for the homebrew channel?