Dolphin is a Wii and GameCube emulator. It allows Wii and GameCube games to be run on a Windows PC, Linux PC or a Mac. As of June 2008 (when it became open source) Dolphin is under active development.
Dolphin website is located at . The website does provide 'unofficial' builds but the builds are out of date and often aren't available to download. It is recommended to compile from source. Follow the Windows build instructions, Linux build instructions or Mac build instructions.
Dolphin is useful to Wii homebrew as it allows developers to test their code on a PC before running the code on the Wii. However, Dolphin does not support all the features of the Wii and you may experience some problems running your homebrew.
- Run Dolphin. If you compiled Dolphin, run Dolphin.exe located within Binary\Platform directory, where Platform is win32, linux, etc.
- Setup the plugins. From the menu, Options -> Configure. Select the Plugins tab
- Set Graphics to a Dolphin graphics plugin. Select 'Dolphin Direct3D9' if on windows and unsure.
- Set DSP to a Dolphin DSP plugin. Select 'Dolphin DSP-HLE' if on windows and unsure.
- Set Pad to a Dolphin pad plugin. Select 'Dolphin KB/X360pad' if on windows and unsure.
- Set Wiimote to a Dolphin wiimote plugin. Select 'Dolphin Wiimote' if on windows and unsure.
- Run your homebrew. From the menu, File -> Open.... Select the Devkitpro compiled .elf or .dol file. If successful, a new window will be displayed with your homebrew.
Homebrew and Dolphin
|examples neheGx\Lesson1-5||Works correctly.||Using gamecube-examples-20081206, Windows XP (32bit), DevkitPro r16, libogc 1.7.1a, Dolphin R2812.|
|examples template||Fails. Only a blank screen is displayed and no hello world text.||Using gamecube-examples-20081206, Windows XP (32bit), DevkitPro r16, libogc 1.7.1a, Dolphin R2812.|
|examples gxSprites||Fails. Only a blank screen is displayed||Using gamecube-examples-20081206, Windows XP (32bit), DevkitPro r16, libogc 1.7.1a, Dolphin R2812.|