If you believe you've found a bug in the Homebrew Channel, please report it here.
- 1 Display Problems
- 2 Translation
- 3 error on loading HBC b8
- 4 Turning Off Wii from HBC b8 Doesn't Really Turn Off
- 5 exit to system menu issue
- 6 Wireless Network Crashes using HBC V8
- 7 GC Memcard Ports
- 8 Inverted Colors and Half Speed
- 9 Wireless WEP unsupported?
- 10 IOS21 missing on 3.2E
- 11 SD Card Freeze
- 12 Wiimote Extension Glitch
- 13 Rude hand gesture
- 14 Losing WiFi Connection
- 15 Upside-down Cursor
- 15.1 Q: My cursor barely responds. It seems to only respond to rotational movements of the wiimote. What can I do to resolve this?
- 15.2 Q: HBC Beta 8 won't show any of my apps. I have the Internal Gecko SD mod. Is this conflicting with it? Beta 7 would show them but sometimes needed to be reloaded and SD card removed and reinserted, but I haven't been successful with HBC Beta 8?
- 15.3 Q: Will the lack of UTF-8 support and inability to use windows-1252 encoding properly (http://tinyurl.com/6kl3d5 for details) be fixed in a future release?
- 16 Freezes on menu, IP 0.0.0.0
- 17 Rumble
- 18 Loading extra files as well as the .elf
- 19 Meta.xml files larger than or equal to 4410 bytes cause a code dump
Black Vertical Bars
On both of my Wiis, on both of my widescreen TVs, and using both YPbBr and standard AV cables, I have black vertical bars (similar to pillarboxing) on the sides of the screen when viewing the homebrew channel. The bars are each about as wide as my thumb.
- TVs are both NTSC (N.A.)
- One is 16:9, the other one I am not sure about but it seems to have a slightly different, perhaps "taller" (height) aspect ratio.
- Wiis are both North American.
- Happens on all variations of wii screen settings as well as all variations of TV screen settings.
- I have noticed some apps having the exact same problem.
I asked for help on this matter on #wiidev and #wiihelp but couldn't get a response that was useful. Nobody else appears to be having this issue. Unfortunately I could not stay on IRC due to internet connection issues.
I believe that it is possible that some of the top and/or bottom of the display is also not being shown. To put it another way, my theory is that the display is being "stretched" vertically so that parts of the top and bottom are out of view and parts of the sides are left black.
Flark 13:38, 14 July 2008 (CEST)
- Same here, PAL Wii. Felix 15:11, 14 July 2008 (CEST)
I have been able to confim my theory but I still don't understand why this problem exists. I think the reason it isn't being widely reported is that most people using homebrew do not have widescreen displays and that those who do have them believe that the problem is normal or they simply do not feel like reporting it, believing/hoping it will eventually be resolved without any action on their part. Flark 23:13, 18 July 2008 (CEST)
In fact this is a not bug, but there are some errors in the French translation. Could the translation be made public or can we contact someone to report bug or suggest a better translation. - Crayon
- There have been a few screwups in the b7 version of French. b8 should be much improved. There are still a few things that were fixed but got reverted due to a screwup - "chaine" should be "Chaîne" in the credits, and "Téléchargement de la mise à jour (%u Ko)" is probably going to get cut (this shows up during an update) - it has been shortened to just "Téléchargement (%u Ko)", which you'll see in beta8a or beta9 (not when you update to it, but during the next update after that). Marcan 16:13, 6 June 2008 (CEST)
error on loading HBC b8
i got this error on loading the HBC for the 5th time, it occured onece but i just wanted to report it
translated:the wii data is damaged. read the manual for more information.
it happened like this:
- after loading the wii webserver alpha i forced a power-off by holding the power button.
- powered on the wii
- started HBC
- got the error
wiimote would not sync, reset button did not work, forced poweroff
- after restarting everything worked ok again.
extra info: pal wii, all downloadable updates. Bitflusher 10:51, 6 June 2008 (CEST)
- I believe that in English this is the "System Firmware has been corrupted" message. I have heard 3 or 4 reports of this, and although it is disconcerting it is apparently harmless. If anyone has a way to reliably reproduce this, please let me know -- otherwise there's not much we can do. Bushing 13:39, 6 June 2008 (CEST)
- Yeah, I've seen it once or twice, but it's not easily reproducible. Unless we come across the issue more often, I'm afraid there's not much we can do. It's too intermittent to debug, you'll just have to deal with it. This is a system menu message. Marcan 16:13, 6 June 2008 (CEST)
Turning Off Wii from HBC b8 Doesn't Really Turn Off
Pressing the power button doesn't seem to fully turn off the Wii, the light stays green- this might be cosmetic but it should be looked into.
Pics by otto888:Off by HBC: http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7518/img0520cy2.jpg (I shaked the camera so you could see the green light) Off by...anything excpt HBC: http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/4675/img0519yx1.jpg (You can barely see the orange)
- Wait. Which power button are we talking about here? Bushing 13:57, 6 June 2008 (CEST)
To reproduce: enter HBC, push power button.
- No Wii homebrew software currently supports the Wiimote power button, AFAIK. We don't actually get a button-press event when you hit it, so we don't know when to turn off. Bushing 13:39, 6 June 2008 (CEST)
- No, he's right, with the Wii's button. It hangs on beta8 because we now use IOS21 and it seems there's some incompatibility. Reverting to IOS35 / LoadPreferredIOS (36 on my wii) works. It's not only cosmetic - the Wii stays on. We'll try to figure it out asap. Marcan 16:13, 6 June 2008 (CEST)
I have a SDGecko and GC Memcard so this update is great as I do not have to remove them when loading the channel. The one thing I still have a problem with (same as Beta 7) is exiting the channel back to the system menu with the GC Memcard and SDGecko still in. After the I hit yes or whatever on the confirmation screen to go back to system menu I get a black screen (basically a freeze) and I have to hold down the power button on the Wii. If I take those cards out and then exit to sysmenu it works perfectly. -- Unmodded NTSC Wii 3.2U
- Exiting to System menu in fact resets Wii. I consider this to be an enhancement to HBC to make exit to System open directly the Wii System Menu.
Wireless Network Crashes using HBC V8
Anytime i run hbc v8, my router loses its wireless capability (all laptops, wii, etc.. drop offline)... v8 says "Network not initialized" in the menu. Moving back to v7 fixes the issue. From what marcan says, sounds like this may be an issue with capability between IOS21 and my router.
- Router: 2wire router from AT&T
- Wii: Modded NTSC Wii 3.2U
Beardface 9:00, 6 June 2008 (CST)
- As I said, it's clearly a bug in the router (probably triggered by something that IOS21 does differently - but still a bug in the router). We'll see about loading the most recent version of IOS instead of hardcoding to 21, which should help. But be aware that, well, your router probably sucks (many do) ;). Marcan 16:13, 6 June 2008 (CEST)
- Understood... Would be awesome to load lastest IOS though; As I'm not the biggest fan of buying a new router atm. (This 'shitty' router is less than a year old.) For now though, I'm more than happy with V7... allthough, could you tell me what exactly was changed in wiiload with v8? I'm using it heavily in V7 so it would be cool to know whats not quite working. Beardface 11:00, 6 June 2008 (CST)
- Which router are you using? The U-Verse router (3800HGV-B) seems to work fine with beta 8 (I haven't tried tcpload, but it displays an IP and certainly doesn't disable my router's wireless interface). I set my router to a fixed channel and 'WPA-PSK' (and used TKIP on my Wii). Try beta 8 and look in the event log after your wireless stops working. If you have the same router I do, try getting them to swap it. --Timedroid 06:10, 22 June 2008 (CEST)
GC Memcard Ports
I was quite pleased about the GC memcard bug fix, so had a test and beta 8 doesn't seem to work for me :(
When I have my Memcard in slot B, my USB LAN adaptor doesn't initialise and it seems to think I have a USB Gecko instead. If I put my Gecko into port A (on it's own or with the memcard), the same happens, although I obviously do have a Gecko at that point. My LAN adaptor is still inactive. If I have both ports empty, my LAN adaptor comes up fine.
As a side note, I still have the Memcard freeze. It just froze at 0% when loading an old version of Tetris, and as soon as I unplugged my memcard it jumped up to 100% and launched the game. Mr jrt 01:47, 7 June 2008 (CEST)
- Yeah, the fix doesn't seem to work. I get a 0% freeze when I have an official Nintendo memory card in slot A as well. (I haven't tried other memory cards)--Timedroid 05:57, 22 June 2008 (CEST)
ditto on this issue. i can have a memcard in the slot on the right (i forget whether it's A or B) but when both are in, networking is disabled and nothing loads. --Nathew 23:37, 22 June 2008 (CEST)
Inverted Colors and Half Speed
I've been having this problem with VBA 1.7.2 on the Wii. It occurs at random, however, once I updated to Beta 8, the Homebrew channel Channel did this too (though only about 3 times). What happened was, I ran the channel, opened VBA 1.7.2, loaded Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga. I did NOT have inverted colors at this point. I accessed the suspend menu and exited the emulator. Upon returning to the homebrew channel, I was greeted with an orange background as well as everything being of inverted colors. The framerate seemed about half speed. Restarting my Wii corrects the issue. While this has happened multiple times with VBA, its happened about 3 times so far with the HBC. I own a launch model unmodded Wii with the latest updates downloadable (3.2U). The Wii is hooked up over component with 480p. No peripherals (controllers, mem cards, etc) plugged into the GC slots.
From what I have read, emu_kidd has stated that there is a memory leak when loading a ROM into the emulator, which is why there is no option to unload and load a new ROM during emulation. Could this somehow be corrupting the video display in both the emulator and the HBC? IIRC, the ROMs are loaded into mem2. Perhaps ensuring the memory is free when returning to the loader will help? Sadly, I'm not privy as to how the loader gets reloaded. Lobstar
- No, it can't be a memory issue - everything is effectively wiped upon return to HBC. It sounds like some sort of video mode misconfiguration that libogc does not know how to correct, so HBC inherits the bad setting from VBA. See if you can find a way of reproducing it reliably and we can have a look at it. Marcan 14:44, 9 June 2008 (CEST)
- Sounds like the frame buffer got misaligned somehow. A bad memory allocator in VBA? ector
Wireless WEP unsupported?
I can't use the network capabilities of the HBC (load stuff through WLAN or download updates) while using WEP encryption on my WLAN, whenever i try the chanel throws an error screen (nice error handling though xD), if I disable WEP, the channel works perfectly... I dont beleve that is my routers fault cos i can connect the wii to the internet through all the chanels and games that support it :P.--Grillo 18:48, 10 June 2008 (CEST)
- My WLAN has WEP encryption, and all works perfect(HBC 7 & 8 verions). --PaRaDoX 03:56, 12 June 2008 (CEST)
IOS21 missing on 3.2E
A friend of mine tried to install the homebrew channel on a 3.2E Wii, but got the error message "you don't have the current version of ios installed". Now she never updated her Wii since she got it, until a few days ago. My guess is, that she just skipped IOS21. I don't really see a way of getting IOS21 now, unless we find a game that includes it. So I think it would be a good idea if the homebrew channel came bundled with IOS21 or searched which IOS is availible and used the one that is, if it's new enough. - Slowking 02:35, 12 June 2008 (GMT+1)
- Any recent Nintendo game (say, anything with Mario in the title) should have a full set of IOSes. We can't bundle a version of IOS with the HBC due to copyright concerns. Unfortunately, due to the way channels are implemented, we have to pick a specific IOS version when we create the TMD for the channel. Bushing 11:30, 23 June 2008 (CEST)
- I think this error occurs if you have a non-supported system version. My Wii was 2.1E (That happens if you neither have any Marios nor are online), and HBC did not install claiming it does not find ios21. Well, I *DO* have Lego Star Wars, so this could not be the full truth. Luckily, my recently purchased Wii Fit/Balance Board came along with 3.1E, and that fixed the problem, HBC installed. --Wiidiot 15:53, 19 July 2008 (CEST)
SD Card Freeze
I have HBC Beta8, and an NTSC USA Wii ver.3.2U. On the HBC, it will detect the SD fine, but if I eject it, and put it back in, it will not refresh, if it is supposed to, and if I try to load a homebrew application, it will not load at all. wackysystems
Wiimote Extension Glitch
If you have a wiimote, and you plug in a Classic Controller, or a Nunchuck, then it will not show the cursor. However, if you unplug the CC or Nunchuck, it will work again.wackysystems
Rude hand gesture
This is not a bug, but the cursor in the HBC is showing the middle finger. Can you please not be so rude and fix this :( wackysystems
- It will only show you the middle finger if you had the hacked preview-homebrew-channel installed. It's their little revenge on people who used a hacked version of their work. I guess you'll have to live with it. ;) - Slowking 03:55, 12 June 2008 (GMT+1)
- Actually that's not truth but you're doing a real good job of spreading the rumour. It's just a random occurence - Furkle 05:07, 12 June 2008 (CEST)
- First, I didn't use the Hacked-Homebrew-Version. Second, the hand isn't a random occurence, it is there everytime I use the Homebrew Channel. Is there any way I can get rid of it? Thank you. wackysystems
- It's random based on your system variables. If you get it you're mostly stuck with it, though system updates and other major changes can change things enough for it to change status. It's not random on every boot. Marcan 22:06, 21 June 2008 (CEST)
- Actually that's not truth but you're doing a real good job of spreading the rumour. It's just a random occurence - Furkle 05:07, 12 June 2008 (CEST)
Losing WiFi Connection
Despite being next to my access point, I've found that the homebrew channel/my wii is losing its connection. This happens when running homebrew and returning to the launcher (which I why I presume its a problem with the channel and not my wii or WiFi). Is anyone else experiencing this?--Unknown
- Is it eventually reconnecting? The Wii's WiFi connection isn't persistent.--Timedroid 06:30, 22 June 2008 (CEST)
The hand cursor is always upside-down in the HBC, even when I turn the Wii remote sideways or upside-down, but everything is fine in the Wii Menu. I also tried turning it off, unplugging extensions, and removing GC controller, but still nothing. Any Ideas? - wolped
Q: My cursor barely responds. It seems to only respond to rotational movements of the wiimote. What can I do to resolve this?
A: If you are using a Nyko wireless nunchuck, try using the homebrew channel without the Nyko wireless receiver attached to the bottom of the wiimote.
Q: HBC Beta 8 won't show any of my apps. I have the Internal Gecko SD mod. Is this conflicting with it? Beta 7 would show them but sometimes needed to be reloaded and SD card removed and reinserted, but I haven't been successful with HBC Beta 8?
A: We do not recommend the use of the internal SD mod with the HBC -- we have not tested it.
Q: Will the lack of UTF-8 support and inability to use windows-1252 encoding properly (http://tinyurl.com/6kl3d5 for details) be fixed in a future release?
A: TLDR. What exactly is it you want the HBC to do that it doesn't do currently? Please be specific. Bushing 14:17, 6 June 2008 (CEST)
- Precis: non-7-bit characters come out wrong. XML should support UTF-8 but the channel doesn't render it right. "ç" for example, in UTF-8 is 0xC3 0xA7, renders as "Ã§", because that's what the font holds for those chars. Using encoding that matches the font makes the parser reject the XML as invalid UTF-8, so accented chars are unusable.
- Yes, exactly. Here are three potential solutions: (1) support UTF-8 fully which, ideally, is what I would like (2) choose an alternate metadata format that doesn't have to go through an XML parser in the first place and is expected to be windows-1252 (3) use an XML parser that supports windows-1252 as a charset (not sure if one exists outside of Microsoft though).
- I'm not finding any non-English characters that are showing up correctly using UTF-8 encoding. UTF-8 is definitely not working as advertised. ProdigySim 05:21, 7 June 2008 (CEST)
- Wait, we have advertising? :) In all seriousness, if you can give me some example files with different encodings that don't work -- and tell me how each of them should work -- I'll make them work. Bushing 11:18, 23 June 2008 (CEST)
On beta 8 (lastest version) and Wii 3.2E, sometimes when going to the menu (home button) the channel freezes completely (background & pointer included) during exactly 10 seconds. After that the menu appears, but on top it says "IP 0.0.0.0".
The globe icon is usually lighted when this happens, but sometimes it unlights after a few seconds of connecting. My Wi-Fi AP is an old D-Link DWL-900AP using WPA.
It seems to happen randomly, but I thinks it happens mostly after using FTPii. Connecting through Internet Channel usually fixes it.
The rumble is way too weak compared to the Wii Menu. Felix 10:24, 30 June 2008 (CEST)
- It should be nice to use the Wii System rumble preferences. Mine is off, but HBC still rumbles when pointing to applications.
Loading extra files as well as the .elf
Not really a bug, but particularly for development it would be quite handy to have a more convenient way of sending an application's data files over the USB gecko or wifi. This could be either something like ftpii built into the homebrew channel itself, or allowing wiiload to send whole directories. --Bigzoid 15:15, 11 July 2008 (CEST)
Meta.xml files larger than or equal to 4410 bytes cause a code dump
If the meta.xml file is larger than or equal to 4410 bytes, it causes HBC to code dump. It code dumps at the loading applications from SD screen. --Teknecal 11:18, 12 July 2008 (CEST)
- Sometimes, when viewing application's description, when navigating using "down" key, HBC freezes, and the console needs to be turned off.
-- bloomberg_es 21 July 2008