|Author(s)||Scip, Rodries, et al.|
|Downloadable via the Homebrew Browser|
- 1 Media
- 2 DVD and USB 2.0 Support
- 3 Install
- 4 Controls
- 5 FAQ
- 5.1 HELP! Some files play back choppily!
- 5.2 Turning off frame skipping makes some files play back smooth but the audio goes out of sync!
- 5.3 Why won't my USB storage device work?
- 5.4 Why don't my RM and RMVB files work?
- 6 Changelog
- 7 Further Information
- 8 Credits
DVD and USB 2.0 Support
To read DVDs and to read external drives at USB 2.0 speeds you will need the custom cIOS USB2 modified by the Mplayer CE team which can be found here. For more help installing this cIOS see the MPlayer CE wiki.
Copy the "mplayer_ce" folder into the "/apps" directory on your sd card and launch it via the Homebrew Channel. Do not rename the folder.
Installation of the cIOS with/without Wifi
You need to install the USB 2.0 cIOS from here (Please note that this requires a internet connection). There is a offline instalation available, to read the guide, visit: here The installer is for Homebrew USB2 only, this will install IOS202 using base IOS60 and IOS36 automatically. You can select the IOS to use to do the installation, so you can select a IOS with the fake sign bug. watch it download, install incase it fails and returns to HBC, it should now install successfully. (IOS60 and IOS36 are downloaded to SD via the Nintendo's Update Server). We are using IOS60 as a base as there has been improvements in wifi. Those that install this cIOS do not require a DVDx instalation.
Users without the fakesign bug cannot install the cIOS to use USB
There is a work around for this but requires you to downgrade a certain IOS, to be able to place trucha into another. Trucha Bug Restorer is an application in which to get IOS with the trucha bug back on all Wiis (and new) with system menu up to 4.1. Usually the error codes -1017 and -2011 indicate that the trucha bug is required and missing. Make sure you understand what you are doing before using this. Only use it if you have an idea what the trucha bug is and why you need it). For more information regarding this, and the download, visit: here
Once complete, Download the cIOS Installer for USB2 here and choose IOS36 as the IOS in the selection screen, then Press A to install, watch it incase it fails and returns to HBC, it should now install successfully.
If you plan on updating make sure to install the cIOS and DVDx before updating.
You can use a wiimote or a gamecube pad to interact:
|Close menu / Show OSD|
|Seek 10s forward|
|Seek 10s backward|
|Seek 60s forward|
|Seek 60s backward|
|Next chapter / Increase Volume|
|Previous chapter / Decrease Volume|
|Move Video Position|
|Reset Position and Dimensions|
More persistent screen adjustments are also done from within the 'mplayer.conf' configuration file using three variables called gxzoom (zoom, where higher values yield lower zoom levels), vert_pos (vertical offset), and hor_pos (horizontal offset).
HELP! Some files play back choppily!
Are you trying to play an h.264 encoded video and/or high definition video? The Wii just doesn't have the hardware to handle it. For more information, see http://code.google.com/p/mplayer-ce/wiki/h264
Turning off frame skipping makes some files play back smooth but the audio goes out of sync!
The Wii is just not powerful enough to handle high compression/high definition content smoothly and still keep the audio in sync.
Why won't my USB storage device work?
First, make sure your hard drive is formatted as FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, OR NTFS.
Most devices are supported by the library being used to provide usbstorage access, but some do not work due to various reasons such as noncompliance to standards. Such devices usually require special drivers to work and it would be an arduous task to track them all and write support for all of them. You can blame the manufacturers. Also some drives have a bad detection, try the following, switch on USB Drive, Power Wii on, Boot HBC and load MPlayerCE, and maybe the drive will have mounted. If not then we need to make improvements in ehci module etc. There is a usb test for you to try if you have a problematic drive, please report the result here.
My USB storage device is supported but I can't launch Mplayer_CE from it!
Assuming you are trying to launch Mplayer_ce from a USB storage disk using the HBC or similar loader and your USB storage device is supported by the loader but Mplayer_ce still won't load from it (even though you have already verified that all the needed files are on the USB storage disk in the correct places without any errors in them), then try reformatting the device. The problem is likely something to do with the file system on your USB disk.
Why don't my RM and RMVB files work?
The Wii uses PPC architecture. Newer Real Video encoded files (rmvb and some rm) only have support libraries written for x86 architecture availible.
- FTP support added (thanks to hax)
- NTFS support added for USB and SD (thanks to Shareese)
- SMB speed improved
- Hopefully finally eradicated the freezing bug
- Fixed noise bug when loading another stream
- Fix playlist bug
- More SMB servers detected (thanks to hax)
- SMB now supports user-level share security (thanks to hax)
- SMB now supports plain text passwords (thanks to hax)
- Autoload implemented. If the next file has a very similar name (using a Levenshtein distance of 2) it will be autoloaded.
- film.part1.avi > film.part2.avi (1 change)
- episode.s01e09.avi > episode.s01e10.avi works (2 changes)
- Improved memory management: fixes MPlayer hanging if out of memory.
- OSD level 3 now shows mem1 and mem2 info.
- Driver improved with autodetection error: on error the device is reinitied and read is retried.
- Restore Points fixed. Now quit or power off saves restore point and can resume properly. Please delete your previous restore_point file in case it is corrupted, and check that your SD card isn't locked.
- Improved SMB connections: now SMB will always reconnect.
- Improved stream initialisation.
- Fixed green lines at the top of loading screen.
- Further improved video compatibility
- Added ability to load an external driver from SD for USB 2.0 testing. More details (and drivers) will be added to the Google Code page at a later date. Thanks to Hermes for the patch.
- Finally fixed the problem with network and USB 2.0 conflicts (due to the driver using a bad device).
- Font loading improved.
- Improved MPlayer support when a file unexpectedly disappears and reappears.
- Many other small fixes and code cleanup.
- New USB test:
- If http://mplayer-ce.googlecode.com/files/USB%20Test.rar says USB device is compatible but a device is not working then there is no FAT partition on the device. Check if you are using NTFS instead.
- Use small cache if opening an internet stream (audio and video).
- Optimized memory access (thanks to a suggestion from Shagkur); cache thread is now more stable.
- A8 patch added for DVD playback in cIOS202 to avoid problems with old modchips.
- Improved Libfat:
- fix for special characters
- prevent possible corruption on sd
- can now mount any FAT partition, whether primary or active
- real FAT32 limit so larger files can be played
- Improved USB hotplug and DVD detection
- ECHI module modified for greater compatibility with USB devices.
- Improved video compatibility.
- New buffering system implemented. If the cache drops below 3% MPlayer will pause and re-buffer to prevent possible hangs with bad connections. Cache is shown on OSD level 3.
- Shoutcast TV is complete with caching, thanks to Extrems. Please see menu.conf.
- If new cIOS is used then DVDx is not required for DVD access.
- New cIOS Installer:
- Installs IOS202 using base IOS60 automatically for greater WiFi support.
- Ability to select the IOS to use so you can select an IOS with the fakesign bug.
- USB LAN Adaptor support fixed (again). Thanks to CountZ3ro for testing. Please note that you will need to install the USB 2.0 cIOS.
- cIOS improved to stop conflicts with other homebrew. Please note that now only port0 has usb2 support. All other USB devices (including the USB LAN adaptor) must go in port1. See here for details: http://mplayer-ce.googlecode.com/files/usb.jpg
- Horizontal stretch parameter added (see mplayer.conf)
- YouTube options added to menu.conf (thanks to Extrems)
- Many small bug fixes
- New screen size variables actually work now.
- Better usb device detection.
- Using free Liberation font instead of Arial.
- Subtitle wraparound bug fixed.
- Spanish version released.
- No more maximum cache limit
- Introduced new variables into mplayer.conf to adjust screen size and position, please see mplayer.conf for details (component-fix is now deprecated)
- idx/sub subtitle support (please note that these can take up to 30 seconds to load so please be patient)
- Multiple folder locations added, it is now possible to have the files in
- Added resume points - video will resume at last stopped point. To clear, delete resume_points file in your mplayer_ce folder. To seek to the beginning of the video hold 2 and press the minus button.
- Added support for Hermes' cIOS. This has greater USB compatibility and enables USB LAN connector support. Please see wiki page for details
- Added Fribidi library support for right-to-left languages
- Made cache fill visible on screen
- Many small bug fixes
- Updated to latest MPlayer svn
- SMB now much more robust - thanks to DennisLKJ for smb.c fix
- libfat cache improved for speed and stability
- USB ethernet now fixed with USB 1.1; USB 2.0 fix requires an updated cIOS
- Added ability to manipulate picture using the nunchuk
- Updated to latest MPlayer revision
- Now using subfont.ttf instead of font folder - use mplayer.conf to change font size
- Merged widescreen and 4:3 pack - now MPlayer will use the appropriate loop.avi automatically
- Improved modchip compatibility for DVD
- USB 2.0 support (see docs for info)
- TTF font support (see docs for info)
- Fixed bug in radio streaming.
- DVD-Video bugs fixed (DVDs should play much more smoothly now)
- Fixes in Libdi to detect chipped Wii
- Codec fixes
- Updated to latest MPlayer revision
- Many small fixes
- Fixed a little bug in keepalive issue that hangs the Wii
- Fixed code to play videos with incompatible size; we now support many video formats and unorthodox resolutions
- Fixed keepalive issue in samba (thanks to Ludovic Orban)
- New loop.avi and widescreen version (thanks to Blue_K)
- Fixed apostrophies in filenames
- Improved DVD and USB mounting devices
- Fixed radio
- Improved samba reconnection
- Debugging help for SMB Shares at bootup, debug_network=yes (Review mplayer.conf)
- Updated menu.conf to allow selecting playlist
- Fix rodries' loop patch
- Updated menu.conf to allow selecting subtitles
- Fixed hang when you access to dvdnav
- New mplayer.conf option: component_fix=yes to fix side bars on some problematic TVs (Now fixed) Review your configs.
- Stop Looping Video/Audio file.
- Reduced font size
- New Readme
- New mplayer.conf option: component_fix=yes to fix side bars on some problematic TVs
- Small fix in cache2.c
- SD/USB Mount bugs fixed
- DVD Mount/Stop/Motor/Pause problems fixed, now mounts, only when you select DVD
- Network Initialising on startup changed, now connects "hidden" in background.
- Added 5 SMB Shares, review smb.conf
- Boot-up speed increased
- Added files filter to only show audio/video files
- Same directory kept open when you open/close the menu
- Menu closes on file load
- SMB fixes
- DVD cache bug fixed
- Small USB fixes
- Modified Libogc & Libfat
- 2.35:1 videos now scale correctly
V0.1 Christmas Edition
- Initial project
For information on compiling, editing the config files and submitting your custom theme, please see the Google Code Wiki.
How to report a bug/issue
Please only report "new" issues, not duplicates. Google Code Wiki.
User submitted customizations
Feel free to submit links to your own customizations on Google Code Wiki.
Scip - Original Project Author tipolosko - DVD-DATA Feature Author rodries - Coding, SMB & USB Improvements AgentX - Source Improvements, Configs & Testing DJDynamite123 - Autochain Code/Experimenting & Testing Ludovic Orban - Keepalive issue in samba Extrems - SHOUTcast/Youtube Patches Tantric - SMB Improvements hax - FTP devoptab Shareese - NTFS Brakken - Documentation Blue_K - loop.avi Thanks Goes Out To ... [rOn] Team Twiizers GeeXboX Authors dargllun Daca Shagkur & LibOGC Contributers