New main page
I created a new main page layout here. The header is better as it leaves more space to the news below and the news is now with a nice smooth colo that get along the below articles. Take a look and move it to the real main page if needed!
- Great, looks good. I think that web page layout is more welcoming to new users and the links at the bottom aren't to random pages. (It is more like "New users go to these places, people who know what they are doing, go here." much like 18.104.22.168 17:50 said on: 1 February 2008 (PST)) Ch0p? -Amoose136 11:49, 24 March 2008 (PDT)
- Me likey, too! Someone ask Ch0p for approval. I'm too lazy to do it myself. --GodCube teh Philosopher, Jack of all Trades 20:15, 12 April 2008 (PDT)
- looks good to me, someone go for it. Ch0p 10:34, 13 April 2008 (PDT)
- I added the header and news sections, but left the link section alone, since I don't know how that should be changed. Blooper4912 18:12, 14 May 2008 (PDT)
I was browsing the wanted pages list and noticed that it was jamed with the translation links. This is a serious issue. My proposal is to do a real translation with the real tools. This means that each language is it's own wiki. Separate user accounts, pages, talkpages, templates, all of it. This means that they are much more separate than now. I believe that this is a good thing, most people don't care about other languages. It works for wikipedia. I do realize that we are not wikipedia, but I think that this is the only solution that works in the end.
If we are going to be multilingual, we must do it seriously, what we currently have is a hack and the issues it has is showing up already, it is time to take control of things before they get out of hand.
I propose that we for now forbid any additions of multilingual pages at all. If any specific language is wanted, they should setup their own wiki install and we can partner up and exchange interwiki links.
With the cool interwiki links, we get this built in "this page in other languages" box in the sidebar too, a nice benefit.
I say, if there isn't enough users that one user can be bothered to host a language, the language is not worth keeping.--henke37 16:01, 21 March 2008 (PDT)
- Agreed. Misuse has only two "s's" and they aren't together. Again, Ch0p? -Amoose136 11:49, 24 March 2008 (PDT)
...not so sure. Lots of our readers are bilingual (at least), and if we fracture the site, we might lose their input altogether. I mean, if the Dutch site were its own thing and our Dutch friends started posting there instead of here, we might not hear from them again... right?
Atom feed language text
Every now and again, the text of "←Older revision" gets replaced with "←Revisión anterior", and "Revision as of" is replaced with "Revisión de" over all the items in the feed, causing duplicate listings in my news reader. LoganA 08:25, 30 March 2008 (PDT)
Stuff is disappearing
I just created Homebrew_apps/RAM_Editor and when I refreshed, it had reverted to "There is currently no text in this page". The entry I added for Homebrew_apps, as well as another entry that someone had recently added, also vanished immediately. The Recent Changes page shows them being created but not deleted. WTF? 22.214.171.124 23:57, 14 April 2008 (PDT)
- Looks like a problem with the server, I see it all fine through real.wiibrew.org. Also it's showing my IP as 126.96.36.199. (That was me making this comment and those changes. <_<) 188.8.131.52 00:21, 15 April 2008 (PDT)
- The caching server (i.e. not real.wiibrew.org) seems to be acting up, and sometimes changes don't show up for a few minutes. :/ Bushing 04:53, 15 April 2008 (PDT)
Why does just about everyone use the same ip? Special:Contributions/184.108.40.206
- Because they use a caching proxy server so the real server (real.wiibrew.org) doesn't get bogged down with requests to the database, and they haven't set it up properly. It was most annoying about a week or so ago when they banned a user and it banned everyone, even registered users. If you type in the IP address into the address bar, you get an "It Works!" page. Muzer 09:27, 21 April 2008 (PDT)
Hi, it would be cool if you guys could use a favicon so that it stands out better in bookmarks. I've cropped and resized the Wii Brew text from the logo image, and here's the final result: http://ib.freehostia.com/stuff/favicon.ico (please copy and paste the url into your browser or go here: http://ib.freehostia.com/stuff/ , my crappy free host has hotlinking protection). If you guys like it you could use that I suppose, or make another one yourselves or whatever. Thanks for being a great site to keep up with homebrew!
- Could be a good idea, the text is a tad small though. Felix123 01:01, 4 May 2008 (PDT)
- Here are my tries: http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/117/wiibrewiconfv0.png and http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/295/wiibrewicon2dp7.png --Hiker13526 04:55, 4 May 2008 (PDT)
- I'd like to give you guys a reminder that icons are not just simple bitmaps. They are a set of simple bitmaps, the used bitmap depends on the screen resolution and so on. Just don't go crazy with too many formats. If you need a serious icon creation tool, I recommend one called Microangelo.--henke37 23:00, 4 May 2008 (PDT)
- For favicons I believe a simple 16x16 bitmap can be easily converted to an ico file and just used like that. At least that is how I've added favicons to wikis in the past. --Hiker13526 23:06, 4 May 2008 (PDT)
externalize the CSS rules
- Sure, if you can tell me how :) Put the updates to Common.css onMediaWiki_talk:Common.css and I'll copy them over. Bushing 19:24, 23 May 2008 (PDT)
pleas add link to apps page ether in the navigation box or on the main page. (and channel faq while you are at it) i would do it my self but they both seem to be special pages and i don't think i have permission -- globber 8:49, 30 May 2008 (EDT)
- Do you mean that box on the left of every page? If so, I would like that as well.