Wii System Updates
There have been many Wii System Updates for the Wii. Listed here are the ones that in some way affect homebrew.
Released: 23rd October 2008
- This blocks new installations of anything fakesigned, that is, Homebrew Channel (both new installs and updates), unofficial wads (legal and illegal), Starfall, cIOS, BootMii, anything that installs IOSes secretly like AnyRegion Changer or AnyTitle Deleter, xyzzy and DVDX (used for apps which have DVD support). This list is not exhaustive, but please add to it if you think of anything else.
- This also blocks access to /dev/flash in all IOSes but IOS30, IOS31 and IOS37. This means raw nand dumping utilities, for example Yet Another Wii NAND Dumper, no longer work, since by default homebrew uses IOS35
- If something is already installed then it isn't affected, like Homebrew Channel, etc.
- The homebrew developers are already planning how to work around this update.
- You currently need this update to access the Wii Shop Channel, but this can now be worked around with Wii Shop and IOS51 installer.
- If you already have the Homebrew Channel and DVDX, and aren't planning to install anything big that will affect your Wii, then you are most likely unaffected. Normal everyday apps such as Homebrew Browser are completely unaffected as long as you already have the Homebrew Channel.
- It updates all IOSes with the fakesigning bug, and adds IOS51.
System Menu 3.3 & Updated IOS30 and IOS31
Released: 16th June 2008
This update blocked old versions of the Twilight Hack. The newest version contains a workaround, and retains compatibility with all Wii firmware versions. IOS30 and IOS31 have fixes for the Signing bug backported from IOS37. Since the System Menu uses IOS30, fake-signed discs have been blocked.
Released: 21st March 2008
This iteration of IOS contained a fixed signature checking routine--a fix for the Signing bug. Although installed on many Wiis, IOS37 has not been found active in any way that would disable any hacks.
Currently, no other updates, older or newer than these, affect homebrew. See System Menu Versions for more info on other updates.