devkitPPC is a port of the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) and includes a C (gcc) and C++ compiler (g++), a debugger (gdb) and associated utilities, with the architecture "powerpc-eabi". It also includes standard C libraries based on newlib, which is specifically designed for embedded systems. Compilers and libraries are also included for the MN10200, the Matsushita (Panasonic) chip used in the Wii DVD controller. It is designed to be used in conjunction with libogc, a collection of Wii-specific low-level libraries.
Instructions for setting up the system are available at the devkitPro website.
devkitPPC also comes with example source code documents that can be used to base one's project off of. These include examples in audio, graphics, and adding a GUI to a homebrew app.
For Windows users it comes with the MSYS environment, which is a minimal set of GNU tools such as a shell.
The following libraries are available for download from devkitPro pacman, precompiled for use with devkitPPC.
- Expat - XML parser library
- FreeType - TTF/Type1 font support
- libjpeg - JPEG support library
- libpng - PNG support library
- Mini-XML - XML library
- libtremor - An integer-only fully Vorbis compliant software decoder library
- zlib - ZIP compression/decompression library
The following tools are included as well:
- doltool - a tool for converting to and from .dol executable files and examining their contents
- gcdspsuite - an assembler for the gamecube DSP chip written by duddie.
- wiiload - a utility for uploading code to the wii written by Dhewg.
- gxtexconv - a utility for texture conversion written by Shagkur.
- Gcube - a gamecube only emulator for desktop