|Blocks (channel/save)||103 / 11|
|Downloadable via the Wii Shop Channel|
The Nintendo Channel allows Wii users to watch videos such as interviews, trailers, commercials and even download demos for the Nintendo DS. In this capacity the channel works in a similar way to a DS Download Station. The channel provides games info pages and users can rate games that they have played. A search feature is also available to assist users in finding new games to try or buy. The channel has the ability to take the user directly into the Wii Shop Channel for buying the wanted game immediately. The Nintendo Channel was launched in Japan on November 27, 2007, in North America on May 7, 2008, and in Europe and Australia on May 30, 2008. The Nintendo Channel is updated with different DS game demos and new videos every week; the actual day of the week varies across different international regions.
An updated version of the Nintendo Channel was released in Japan on July 15, 2009, North America on September 14, 2009, and in Europe on December 15, 2009. The update introduces a new interface and additional features, options and statistics for users to view. However, the European version is missing some of these new additional features, such as options for choosing video quality. In addition, a weekly show known as Nintendo Week began airing exclusively on the North American edition of the channel.
May 07, 2008
- First public release.
November 12, 2008
- An update that provides a behind-the-scenes enhancement to the Nintendo Channel was made available.
Released July 15 (JAP), September 14 (NTSC), December 15 (PAL).
- New GUI.
- The channel size has been reduced.
- The save size has been reduced.
- See other users' recommendations in the "Everyone's Recommendations" feature.
- Make recommendations for your favorite Nintendo DS games.
- Watch videos in "High" or "Normal" quality to better suit your Internet connection speed.
- Bookmark your favorite games.
- View records of the Wii software you've played as well as records of the software you've recommended with the "Records" feature.