I doubt it's a new exploit. Most likely they just used Trucha Signer to put their own code in the disc banner that gets exececuted when the wii menu reads the disc. We'll see if this breaks once the trucha exploit gets patched.
- Putting code into the banner at all would be a hack in and of itself; however, it may just be a hacked apploader (which would still require use of the signing exploit. If I only had an image of this disc, I could explain how it works within, oh, five minutes or so. Bushing 10:30, 11 March 2008 (PDT)
take that as a hint *g whatever it is (bug in the opening.bnr, filesystem-exploit whatever..) it will provide full access to the whole system. not only some specific files as in the twilight hack.
If you look at this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4iWEtsZMvE You can see that he puts the disc in whilst on the channel menu and it produces a pixelised wipe effect over the whole screen, right to left and back again, before spitting the disc out to prompt you to put the foreign game in. That should demonstrate the depth of the exploit, i.e. before entering the disc channel, the freeloader has already taken effect.
- Noted. I think you might be able to get a similar effect by using an auto-booting ('0ZDE') disc, but I think that it always transitions to a blank screen before running the dol. One way to find out ... Bushing 15:26, 11 March 2008 (PDT)
Doesn't the latest firmware update already patch the trucha exploit? 220.127.116.11 12:28, 11 March 2008 (PDT)
- No, and believe me, you will hear about it all over the internets when they fix that exploit. Bushing
- no and it is not know if the freeloader even uses the "trucha"-exploit Adan0s 12:32, 11 March 2008 (PDT)
- Correct; we have not yet seen the contents of the disc, but I don't know of any other way they could have done this. (Most likely, it's two exploits -- the signing exploit, and then something to overwrite the System Menu code in memory. Bushing 15:26, 11 March 2008 (PDT)
I just watched the video, i thought was auto boot trick, but was wrong as i noticed they used a funky effect. Cool hack
- Has anyone capable of figuring out how the menu hack works got a dump yet? 18.104.22.168 01:56, 23 April 2008 (PDT)
So what does it actually do?
Is it a game hacker, similar to - the ARDS, in the meaning of having hacks? Or some - thing else? If so, what? Bletotum
It lets you run games from other regions (for example NTSC games on a PAL Wii). Muzer 13:37, 4 April 2008 (PDT)
Huh, well I guess that's use-full for when you don't have the will to wait several months for the game. And some E-Bay fool in a region where it - is out may decide that - they don't want - theirs any-more, then sell it for $05.00 . Then you save $45.00 , and a few months. Bletotum
Can it still run on all the Latest Wii Firmware?
I'm just checking before I make the mistake of downloading the latest firmware for my Wii and it ends up being blocked.
- Yes. The kernel itself actually blocks it, but this change will NOT come into affect until they also release a menu update to utilise the fix. So it is safe to upgrade. See IOS37.
- Just use Gecko Region Free instead? 22.214.171.124 01:56, 23 April 2008 (PDT)